Do you feel pressed for time when you are leaving for vacation? Have you ever notice how efficient you are just prior to leaving? Years ago, I went into contract prior to going away and came back tired and frustrated that I had spent hours on the phone while my family fished in the creeks and played Bocce Ball on the beach. When I returned from vacation, I realized that I had fun but was exhausted. Why didn’t I believe I deserved to have a healthy dose of REST?
Here are vacation ideas for my favorite people – YOU!
- BEST OPTION: Have another sales agent or coworker that you trust cover for you and then disconnect your cell phone. You can do the same for them later in the summer. Personally call to inform those you are working with and leave a recording on voice mail and email with the contact info for the professional who is covering for you. Keep the phone off unless you choose to check in. Have you ever seen someone on the creeks with a fishing pole in one hand and a cell phone in the other? It’s just WRONG! Don’t let that be you.
- If that scares you, create a voice message that says you will return calls at 9:00am or 3:00pm so you can mentally let down and spend quality time with those you love most. Nothing is more annoying to our family and friends than us sending the subliminal message that business is more important than they are. Believe me-your actions speak louder than words.
- Physically and mentally, you need to shut down work a minimum of one weekend every quarter. (Get out of town if you can – staycations will also suffice.) You will work more efficiently when you return and get more done in less time which is totally the reason vacations are a requirement for successful living.
- As a standard for all year, make a recording on your phone stating “All calls received after 7pm will be returned first thing the next morning.” Of course, if you are in the throes of negotiating a big contract, all bets are off.
- If you are in sales, make no appointments one day a week. Isn’t it hubris to imagine anyone is so important that they must be on call 7 days a week, 24 hours a day?
Check your own mindset. What belief is preventing you from honoring your own need for rest or rejuvenation? Make a list of those beliefs uncensored. Then go back and challenge them. Take my online assessment at ManifestCoaching.com if you want to discuss further. I would be honored to help you define those beliefs-the first call is free. Clients will respect your time if you do. Truly be PRESENT with friends and family. If not, your work will expand to fill the number of hours you allow. This idea always ticked me off-I now had to own responsibility for allowing it to happen. I should have gotten some leverage and assigned specific hours for working and held sacred the hours for re-fueling and nourishing the relationships that meant the most to me and my family. I also did not know how to fix it but I do now.
I discovered these principals after severe burn out in 2012 and have come to realize that no amount of money and NO JOB is worth someone’s mental or physical health. A vacation is not a luxury-it is a necessity. If this resonates with you and you wish to explore other life changing ideas about how to be proactive and design a wonderful life style that is sustainable, enjoyable and rewarding, contact me. Every day is such a gift. Live it like one.
Here’s to a wonderful, refreshed YOU!